On 10/31/2014 11:57 AM, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> On 10/31/14 11:45 AM, Dave Cole wrote:
>> So if they did have astronaunts on this rocket they would have had to
>> make a choice.   Kill the astronaunts by detonating the rocket, or
>> possibly kill civilians if the rocket crashes onto the mainland.
> That's not right.  Manned rockets have launch escape systems designed to
> fly the astronauts to safety in case the rocket malfunctions:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_escape_system
>

 >>Only one emergency use of an LES has occurred. This occurred during
the attempt to launch Soyuz T-10-1
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_T-10-1> on September 26, 1983. The
rocket caught fire, just before launch, and the LES carried the crew
capsule clear, seconds before the rocket exploded. The crew were
subjected to an acceleration of 14 to 17 /g/
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force> (140 to 170 m/s²) for five
seconds. Reportedly, the capsule reached an altitude of 2,000 meters
(6,500 ft) and landed 4 kilometers (2.5 mi) from the launch pad. The
Soyuz LES system also has grid fins
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_fin> mounted on the payload fairing
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payload_fairing> that deploy to stabilize
the craft.

I did not know that could be launched from a standing rocket on the
launch pad or one barely off the ground.

I stand corrected.   Thanks.

 From the same link.... Orbital Sciences..the same company that had the
rocket blow up....
 >>Orbital Sciences Corporation
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_Sciences_Corporation> intends to
sell the LAS it was building for the Orion spacecraft
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_spacecraft> to future commercial
crew vehicle providers in the wake of cancellation of the Constellation
project.^[6]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_escape_system#cite_note-6>

Perhaps they should fit the LAS system to the cargo bay of future
Antares rockets?  ;-)

Another article - the comments are interesting.
http://www.space.com/27598-antares-rocket-explosion-soviet-engines.html

Dave

---
is active.