This doesn't directly answer your question about jog-while-paused, but I'm
curious about the specific use case you describe.

How do you decide when to change the insert?  Do you wait until it chips
or starts cutting poorly?  Or do you always change it at the same point
because you know it won't last all the way through?

If you wait for it to chip or stop cutting properly, it seems to me that it
isn't
good enough to simply pause, jog away, change the insert, jog back, and
resume.  Don't you have to actually back up in the program a bit and
re-machine the area that was improperly cut?

On the other hand, if you have decided to always change the insert at the
2/3 mark just to be safe, then can't you simply program the change in the
g-code?  At the end of a pass, rapid over to a safe spot, stop the spindle,
and do the change.  Then start the next pass.

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014, at 09:40 AM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> This is a question for people using LCNC on larger machine tools. We have
> been patiently waiting for jog while paused and it does not look like we are
> getting it anytime soon. My question is how are others working around this?
> For instance I am working on a job machining gears with hardened teeth and
> we have to remove .250 form one face, roughing insert lasts about 2/3 of the
> way through the roughing program and we have to rotate the insert. Feed hold
> leaves us in a position too close to the part to change the insert. Our only
> solution is to exit program and move tool away to rotate insert and restart
> program from the beginning and cut air  until we get back into the cut. We
> try to run from line but even if we call constant surface feed in our MDI
> spindle start the spindle runs at the cap RPM.
>

> Jeff Johnson
>
> john...@superiorroll.com
>
> Superior Roll & Turning
>
> 734-279-1831