On 01/02/2015 12:10 PM, John Kasunich wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 01:03 PM, andy pugh wrote:
>> On 2 January 2015 at 17:58, John Kasunich <jmkasun...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>> Also, I have a simple mechanical question:  How is the cutting wire
>>> kept tight?  Cable bipods don't have any ability to resist tension
>>> perpendicular to their plane.
>>
>> The archetypical version uses a wooden C-frame to tension and weight the
>> wire:
>> http://www.cnc-hotwire.de
>>

> In that case, you only have the errors caused by the controlled point(s)
> moving
> out-of-plane when the cutting wire is tilted.  Small for modest tilts, but
> increasing
> rapidly with angle.  Dan mentioned angles up to 22.5 degrees.
>
> If one controlled point could be constrained in all three directions, then
> the kins
> to compute the location of the other controlled point (and all four bipod
> cable
> lengths) are relatively straightforward.

re hotwire foam cutter xyuv like wedm stuff
our german friend left for the forest and took down most of his videos
but heres some info on his implementation
i saw videos of the two xy pairs in motion
he was magic33de  or  ??? in the irc ichgoodlive??
he mad a boatload of linuxcnc videos and tutorials
https://code.google.com/p/emc2hotwinch/
hth
tomp tjtr33