On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 5:09 AM, Erik Christiansen
<dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> On an old thread; 08.05.15 05:29, Mark Wendt wrote:
>> I bought a little transistor/cap tester kit from Banggood a while back,
>
> Having followed suit, I was disappointed today to find a new/old-stock
> great fat 10,000 uF electrolytic giving an ESR reading of 0.8 ohm.
> Being, at least philosophically, Scottish, I thought I'd give reforming
> the dielectric a go. (My method is just to put the multimeter on ohms
> range, to apply a low voltage at low current. Mine emits + on the
> negative terminal in ohms mode, so reverse connection of the leads is
> needed.)
>
> When I came back later, the needle had crept up to full scale on ohms x 1,
> and after briefly shorting with a screwdriver, just in case, retesting
> gave an ESR of 0.03 ohms.
>
> I don't know how typical that improvement might be, but it does show
> that a capacitor oughtn't be ruled out at first glance.
>
> Erik

I haven't checked my transistor/cap tester against a real ESR meter I
have for my bench, so I don't know how accurate it is at that.  My
electronics stuff is all packed up right now, waiting to be put in the
moving van, so I won't have a chance to play for a while.

We close on October 15th (hopefully), and then I put Washington DC in
the rear view mirror.

Mark

--
One Man, One Machine, One Computer!  <VBSEG>