On 17.09.15 05:54, Mark Wendt wrote:
> I haven't checked my transistor/cap tester against a real ESR meter I
> have for my bench, so I don't know how accurate it is at that.  My
> electronics stuff is all packed up right now, waiting to be put in the
> moving van, so I won't have a chance to play for a while.

For a quick reality check, I just wired a 1 ohm wirewound power resistor
in series with the cap. Now it reads 1.2 ohms. With resistor tolerance
and inductance, that's not too far off. Adding instead, a 0.02 ohm 1%
non-wirewound, the reading jumps from 0.05 to 0.17 ohm. My lead clips
are not making zero ohm connections. Just the leads and resistor reads
0.1 ohms. And yet it repeatedly gives 0.03 to 0.05 ohms for the
capacitor ESR.

There's no elaborate precision analogue circuitry in the thing, so we
can't hope for more than an approximate result. For me, it is enough
that it discriminates between 0.8 ohms and 0.05, and whether that 0.05
is really 0.03 or 0.07 is no biggie.

> We close on October 15th (hopefully), and then I put Washington DC in
> the rear view mirror.

That's the strongest reaction I've yet heard to the prospect of "The
Donald" maybe heading into town after the incumbent leaves.

Erik

--
Bureaucrat behind desk: "You need a planning permit to continue farming"
Aussie farmer: "I need my head read if I want to continue farming"