On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Erik Christiansen
<dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> On 17.09.15 05:54, Mark Wendt wrote:
>> I haven't checked my transistor/cap tester against a real ESR meter I
>> have for my bench, so I don't know how accurate it is at that.  My
>> electronics stuff is all packed up right now, waiting to be put in the
>> moving van, so I won't have a chance to play for a while.
>
> For a quick reality check, I just wired a 1 ohm wirewound power resistor
> in series with the cap. Now it reads 1.2 ohms. With resistor tolerance
> and inductance, that's not too far off. Adding instead, a 0.02 ohm 1%
> non-wirewound, the reading jumps from 0.05 to 0.17 ohm. My lead clips
> are not making zero ohm connections. Just the leads and resistor reads
> 0.1 ohms. And yet it repeatedly gives 0.03 to 0.05 ohms for the
> capacitor ESR.
>
> There's no elaborate precision analogue circuitry in the thing, so we
> can't hope for more than an approximate result. For me, it is enough
> that it discriminates between 0.8 ohms and 0.05, and whether that 0.05
> is really 0.03 or 0.07 is no biggie.

Yeah, I figured that.  I bought the thing mainly for the quick and
dirty transistor/diode checking.  If I really want to get into
profiling transistors or diodes, I've got a Tek 577 Curve Tracer to do
that.  I've mainly used the tester just to get decent capacitance
readings on the cap side of the house.  I've got a really good ESR
that I use to really check electrolytics.

>> We close on October 15th (hopefully), and then I put Washington DC in
>> the rear view mirror.
>
> That's the strongest reaction I've yet heard to the prospect of "The
> Donald" maybe heading into town after the incumbent leaves.
>
> Erik

Eh, he couldn't do any worse than the clowns that currently occupy DC.

Mark

--
One Man, One Machine, One Computer!  <VBSEG>