On Sunday 27 December 2015 13:16:17 Bruce Layne wrote:

> On 12/26/2015 06:51 PM, John Thornton wrote:
> > There is no neutral in the machine, only L1 L2 and GND. The Neutral
> > for the house is bonded to ground at the panels.
>
> Electrician's  Joke:
>
> Q: What's the difference between neutral and ground?
> A: About six inches.
>
> There's a very good reason the return current is carried on the
> neutral and the ground should not carry any current in normal
> circumstances, but we do need to understand that electrons don't care
> about our
> conventions.  They're just as happy returning via the ground wire.
> They don't know that the green wire is off limits for all but
> emergency traffic.
>
> The concept of ground/neutral functional equivalence is also a real
> life saver for anyone who might otherwise consider standing barefoot
> on a basement floor while hot wiring any line powered AC circuit.

True Bruce, but in the event we stumble upon such a scene, we really do
need to have a good stock of "here's your sign" signs to hand out.
Before or after you use the signs dry wooden handle to knock them loose
from the circuit being optional.  You can often tell the type by looking
at their diagonal cutters jaws to see if they've been used to cut hot
circuits. I once, way back in the dark ages, worked for an electrician
who, when doing rework, had an old set of dime store cutters that he
used to bite into the cable just to blow the fuse or breaker, then he'd
go to the service and disconnect & tag the circuit he'd blown.  Much
quicker than trying to trace it by killing one circuit at a time &
waiting for his helper to yell that was it.  Sometimes it was a real
trip, crawling around in an attic full of knob and ball wiring with that
guy.