On Sunday 14 February 2016 05:10:31 Horváth Csaba wrote:

> Is it possible to use netmos9835 (1LPT/2Serial port) card to Linuxcnc?
> I would like to use it as a second port, but when I start the Linuxcnc
> program, the program gives failure after giving of I/O setup and
> portadress. For the Iscpci -v command I receive the following
> information: portadress 0x1110 and parport_serial kernel driver.
>
> After starting Linuxcnc program in debug file information comes up the
> followings:
>
> Error: could not insert module
> /usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/modules/linuxcnc/hal_parport.ko:
> Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> ./Maro.hal:6: exit value: 1
>
> ./Maro.hal:6: insmod for hal_parport failed, returned -1
>
> See the output of 'dmesg' for more information.
>
> 13995
>
> PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
>
> Stopping realtime threads
>
> Unloading hal components
>

> and kernel message information:
>
> [ 2016.629223] RTAI[sched]: Linux timer freq = 250 (Hz), TimeBase freq
> = 2394167000 hz.
>
> [ 2016.629225] RTAI[sched]: timer setup = 999 ns, resched latency =
> 2943 ns.
>
> [ 2016.634189] RTAI[math]: loaded.
>
> [ 2016.786184] config string '0x378 out 0x1110 in'
>
> [ 2016.786199] PARPORT: ERROR: port parport0 claim failed
>
> [ 2019.147169] RTAI[math]: unloaded.
>
> [ 2019.148771] SCHED releases registered named ALIEN PEDV$D
>
> [ 2019.153483] RTAI[malloc]: unloaded.
>
> [ 2019.252049] RTAI[sched]: unloaded (forced hard/soft/hard
> transitions: traps 0, syscalls 0).
>
> [ 2019.253738] I-pipe: head domain RTAI unregistered.
>
> [ 2019.253784] RTAI[hal]: unmounted.
>

> Regards, Csaba

ISTR I went down this path 10+ years ago with a netmos based card, and
failed. The driver was windows specific and the chipset wasn't capable
of bi-directional operation, so I threw money at it, about $15 at the
time, and bought a card with a StarTech label on the box and was based
on a non-netmos chip whose number I do not now recall.  It worked
without a hiccup for several years, until I replaced both of those
machines with D525MW based ARK shoeboxes.  gmane may be able to spit out
the thread where I discussed it with some of the kind people on this
list. I originally had a 6 month expiry on this list, which I took off
in 2010, so my emc email corpus doesn't go back that far. I may even
have the card tossed in a scrap box someplace in the midden heap of my
shop building up on the hill, but its going to have to warm up 40F
before I do any excavation looking for it. But IIRC it is a std pci
card, not PCI-e, and that may not be usable at this late date in any
machine that has surived the ravages of time.

So I'll shut up and hope someone else has a better answer.

I'd spend a few more $ and put a 5i25 card in the machine, far more
capable as you don't have to worry about software stepping, the card
does it and the machines working speed can often be tripled compared to
software stepping.

See John Thornton's site <www.mesaus.com> mentioned a week or 2 back up
the list.  Or the <www.Mesanet.com> site.  Under anything i/o.