On 02/14/2016 02:10 AM, Horváth Csaba wrote:
> Is it possible to use netmos9835 (1LPT/2Serial port) card to
> Linuxcnc?

It depends. If you want to use the parallel port pins for slower speed
general purpose control, such as for turning a coolant pump On and Off,
or sensing button or MPG input, then your card should be fine. If you
want to communicate with a parallel port FPGA signal generator, it most
likely will not work.

> I would like to use it as a second port, but when I start the
> Linuxcnc program, the program gives failure after giving of I/O setup
> and portadress. For the Iscpci -v command I receive the following
> information: portadress 0x1110 and parport_serial kernel driver.

... snipped the rest

"lspci -v" would be the command. It should list your card and a range of
addresses. The list shows the starting address for the control and
extended register blocks for the parallel and serial ports. You can try
each address with the the linuxcnc loadrt command until you find the one
that works, but I usually also check the dmesg output:

dmesg | grep parp

dmesg lists messages as the operating system loads. Usually there is a
driver program that looks for parallel ports and sets them. grep filters
out the lines that don't have "parp" in them. (The | symbol is a pipe
that runs dmesg output into grep's input.) My output on this computer
looks like this:

> kwallace@jupiter:~$ dmesg | grep parp
> [   13.695523] parport_pc 00:07: reported by Plug and Play ACPI
> [   13.695576] parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3
> [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA]
> [   13.792725] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
> kwallace@jupiter:~$

which shows that parport_pc found a card with a control register at
0x378 (with and extended register at 0x778). For system use, the port
was labeled lp0, which can optionally be used by linuxcnc's loadrt
rather than the register address. In this case the motherboard's local
port, 0x378, is listed.

Recently, I installed a parallel port card which dmesg did not list.
This was likely due to there not being a proper linux parallel port
driver for this card. The card worked anyway by trying each address in
the lspci output.

See:

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/hal/parallel-port.html

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NetMos
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Startech
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SIIG

Additionally, for parallel port FPGA signal generators, the parallel
port needs to be set to EPP rather than the standard SPP mode. EPP may
also be needed for use with a Gecko G540.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/