On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 13:22:48 +0100
Philipp Burch <p...@hb9etc.ch> wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> as far as I know, MachineKit is a fork of LinuxCNC designed to run on
> ARM platforms:
> http://www.machinekit.io/
>
> Bye,
> Philipp
>
> On 16.03.2016 13:17, Erik Friesen wrote:
> > I have been doing some work with an i.mx6 of late, and wonder why the quad
> > couldn't do linuxcnc?  It seems there is some obscure reason I read
> > somewhere.
> >
> > Older Haas machines use the 68040? 40mhz clunker.
> >
> > This got me thinking, anyway http://nxgencnc.com/
> >
> > But I ended up buying a 1996 haas.  Going back to rs232 sort of hurts after
> > networked linuxcnc.

Do not be confused:
  1. Some of the higher end ARM run Linux and it is possible to run Linuxcnc on
them.
  2. ARM Micro controllers with peripherals suitable for motor control are also
available.

I checked ARM on ST home page. The cheap lower end Micro controllers have
peripherals suitable for control of inverter switches for motor control but not
the higher end. The high end ARM is Multi core and have a lot of CPU power. The
lower end have an interrupt controller which allow nested interrupts with
priority, rate monotonic scheduling could be done in hardware with this micro
controller but I am not sure this interrupt controller is available on the high
end ARM.

In short the high end ARM is suitable to build something similar to an ordinary
desktop computer while the cheap are suitable to connect to other hardware
like: analog input signals, PWM, ...

Nicklas Karlsson