On Monday 07 November 2016 04:35:44 W. Martinjak wrote:

> Gene,
>
> the symptoms point to a power supply problem.
> It's the "famous" brown out problem, due to bad designed power
> supplies. Sometimes it's the cable of the supply with excessive
> voltage drop. Yes this is unfortunatly the price of getting cheaper
> and cheaper.... And I assume, that the hdmi connection pulls more amps
> then expected because the hdmi2dvi conversion. I had similar effects
> with a bad hdmi cable.
> One further negative impact of this brownouts is a degenerating
> filesystem.

I will check that, when I take the 2nd u-sd card out and plug it in.
I dd'd the same image from a dl about a week ago, hunted down those 2
messages about editing those 2 text files in the /boot directory, so
theoretically it should at least boot and get a dhcp address.  Then I
start from scratch with all the other stuff I've done.

However, any time I have hunted for a 5 volt source, its been a rock
solid 5.11 volts. The 7i90HD has its own psu, so the load is the hdmi,
ethernet, spi when its active, and 2 of those wireless mouse/keyboard
buttons/dongles.  Its a 2.5 amp supply, but if the orange pi has a
compatible plug, it claims to be a 3.0 amp supply.  At no point have I
noted the power led as anything but dead steady in brightness.

> A 1st discharge is a active usb hub for the keyboard,

I thought of that, but Wally didn't have such a beast and I've not played
rat terrier enough to locate an old one I may have laying around.

> and should this not be sufficient then use a better/stronger power
> supply.

Which because the size of the current tree of multi-outlet adapters
already in that box, will be replaced with a small 5 volt switcher
before this is all done. Just bought a 5 amp enclosed switcher to do
that off fleabay, s/b here by next Monday. And locate a term strip to
feed it all from one piece of 14 ga sj.

I do have doubts about the weak psu, but I'll check it anyway. With a
scope.