On Sunday 06 November 2016 07:30:18 Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 06.11.16 04:14, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Did that already, Rainer. From an htop report, its currently sitting
> > at the pre-x login screen, gtk-greeter. My newest concern is the
> > poor bogomips I see in dmesg. Only 153 for all 4 cores. This machine
> > has 17682.  There may not be enough cycles to run x and linuxcnc.
>
> That's entirely possible, Gene. It seems unlikely that it will be even
> remotely real-time with a bit of X working, if this performance
> comparison is any guide:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJkHxDjFuNA
>
> Mind you, I have an example of the compared board on order, and it is
> a long time coming. (I think they are accumulating sufficient orders
> to do another production run, given the delay.) The udoo board has no
> parport, but 20 GPIOs, so a parport ought to be synthesisable. Andy
> had a look at using the additional on-board ARM chip for the I/O, but
> posted that the CPU-CPU interface lacked appeal. (I suspect that might
> be because it's USB, which isn't anywhere near microsecond-splitting
> real-time. Pity.)
>
> My conversations with the Udoo people reveal that the X86 is built to
> boot almost any linux distro off SD card or flash stick, so running
> LinuxCNC should be a doddle. (But my first one is slated for video
> streaming, i.e. replace my desktop with a little 12v box. So I went
> for the middle performance one.)
>
> This page describes the sluggish performance of all the Rpis, even the
> pi3, showing a test tabulation giving the pi3 1/10th of the udoo X86's
> result: (Skip to 1:40 in the clip, to avoid a load of boring intro
> rubbish.)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U2dlIEFBJI
>
> Erik

Most interesting, and reasonably priced too at $29 for the full pine-64
monty. But it reads like video is its main hurrah.  Which is why I am
curious if the orange-pi could offload the video duty's from the
R-Pi-3b. I have a usb<->ethernet gismo, so there is the potential
linkage path.

The udoo board is also interesting, and when compared to the total cost
and real estate occupied by a pair of pi's by the time space is
allocated for interconnections, possibly the better board.  But I should
have the orange-pi-3 in another 2 weeks, if I can stand the wait. I
don't find the 4k hdmi touted on some of these as a advantage due to the
cost and non-ready availability of monitors for that format yet.

I just checked the tracking, and its getting closer, it was in a Noo
Joisey USPO this morning.  Next week I expect. :)

Thanks Erik.