On 06.11.16 04:14, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Did that already, Rainer. From an htop report, its currently sitting at
> the pre-x login screen, gtk-greeter. My newest concern is the poor
> bogomips I see in dmesg. Only 153 for all 4 cores. This machine has
> 17682.  There may not be enough cycles to run x and linuxcnc.

That's entirely possible, Gene. It seems unlikely that it will be even
remotely real-time with a bit of X working, if this performance
comparison is any guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJkHxDjFuNA

Mind you, I have an example of the compared board on order, and it is a
long time coming. (I think they are accumulating sufficient orders to do
another production run, given the delay.) The udoo board has no parport,
but 20 GPIOs, so a parport ought to be synthesisable. Andy had a look at
using the additional on-board ARM chip for the I/O, but posted that the
CPU-CPU interface lacked appeal. (I suspect that might be because it's
USB, which isn't anywhere near microsecond-splitting real-time. Pity.)

My conversations with the Udoo people reveal that the X86 is built to
boot almost any linux distro off SD card or flash stick, so running
LinuxCNC should be a doddle. (But my first one is slated for video
streaming, i.e. replace my desktop with a little 12v box. So I went for
the middle performance one.)

This page describes the sluggish performance of all the Rpis, even the
pi3, showing a test tabulation giving the pi3 1/10th of the udoo X86's
result: (Skip to 1:40 in the clip, to avoid a load of boring intro rubbish.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U2dlIEFBJI

Erik