On Tuesday 08 November 2016 11:46:38 Chris Albertson wrote:

> I think you've got it.  If the supply is lower spec than 2.5 A at 5.1
> V then I'd upgrade the power supply.     Add more current to the
> supply if your USB devices are USB bus powered
>
> The power supplies that people try to use are not "bad".  it is just
> that most are designed to charge a cell phone battery, not power a
> computer
>
> I use either the Pi with very little plugged into it or for bench
> setups an old PC supply that is over 20A for the 5V
>
> But I think the root of Gene's problems is he is attempting to learn
> everything all at once.

Bingo!

> Better to use the Pi for a while, learn how
> to best use it for simple things, use the Mesa board and then later
> integrate parts you are very foamier with.

Atm, its running beautifully on the G0704's tv screen monitor.  As a
mill. So we make the vfd behave since it and the motor are currently on
the same table and handy, THEN make the mill config into a lathe config,
hook the 2 stepper drivers to steppe.0 and stepper.1, then take the box
to the lathe & get it hung.  But to do that, I'll need to cut up and
make the overhead frame, out of 1.5" square tubing, that will hold the
box, monitor and a 4 foot led shop lamp, as high as I can get it and the
garage door still clears to open.  So I'm returning to my JOAT days
here. :)

Please bear with me. But now my hair is dry from taking a much needed
shower, and round up the missus and go vote.  That will likely involve
breakfast at Kathy's before I can get back to this.  Who knows, maybe
the orange-pi 3 will be in the mailbox when we get back, it is going to
do the x rendering in this contraption. (I hope)

> Even little things like how to do a backup of an embedded computer.

I did get a backup of sorts last night with amanda, but obviously I'll
need to fine tune that. But here's the relevant lines from that log:
STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
  /-- raspberrypi.coyote.den / lev 0 STRANGE
  sendbackup: start [raspberrypi.coyote.den:/ level 0]
  sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
  sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -xpGf - ...
  sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
  sendbackup: info end
  ? /bin/tar: ./boot: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
  ? /bin/tar: ./dev: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
  ? /bin/tar: ./proc: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
  ? /bin/tar: ./sys: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
  | Total bytes written: 5722931200 (5.4GiB, 2.1MiB/s)
  sendbackup: size 5588800
  sendbackup: end

and:
raspber /                           0    5458    3388  62.1 44:12  1308.1
0:29 119615.1
raspber /boot                       0      27      19  72.0  0:11  1771.1
0:00 196260.0
the first 0 is backup level=a full, the next 2 are data in megabytes, and
data in megabytes after compression by gzip. I can squash those errors
shown with an excludes file but I'll have to invent 2 more profiles,
each referencing its own excludes file. AH&E work at the keyboard. :)
But, its getting to the virtual tapes, which is what counts.

> Try doing a few restores from the backup.  You find it works different
> from a larger desktop PC then a embedded device.   Need time to test
> and measure network performance and so on also on. ..THEN put it all
> togther

Or put it all together and then make it work... :)