I think you've got it.  If the supply is lower spec than 2.5 A at 5.1
V then I'd upgrade the power supply.     Add more current to the
supply if your USB devices are USB bus powered

The power supplies that people try to use are not "bad".  it is just
that most are designed to charge a cell phone battery, not power a
computer

I use either the Pi with very little plugged into it or for bench
setups an old PC supply that is over 20A for the 5V

But I think the root of Gene's problems is he is attempting to learn
everything all at once.   Better to use the Pi for a while, learn how
to best use it for simple things, use the Mesa board and then later
integrate parts you are very foamier with.

Even little things like how to do a backup of an embedded computer.
Try doing a few restores from the backup.  You find it works different
from a larger desktop PC then a embedded device.   Need time to test
and measure network performance and so on also on. ..THEN put it all
togther

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California