> Nicklashello
> the time from voltage turn-on until the voltage dropis the ionization time
> this can be used as an indication of the gap 'clean'.
>
> as the cut progresses and more debris is generated,
> this time measure will change and  decrease
> because the debris will reducethedielectric quality (the anti-conducting
> quality).

Time for a peck cycle?

> IF the time is too small,
> then the gap is dimensionally too small ( too close )
> or too dirty ( needs 'peck' cycle )
> or more fluid flow ( sweep up the dirt )
> or more offtime or a combination of these
>
> this ionization monitor cause & effect loop should be faster than 100mS
> you cant change flow rates that quickly but you can add offtime to
> subsequent pulses
> other strategies are in scientific papers
>
> re: The sparc counter
> not sure what the count deal with yet
> it sounds like you could get a number related to (sparcs_attempted /
> sparcs_actual) = sparc_efficiency
> and then see if adjusting edm servo target voltage or offtime would
> increae that ratio

Yes "ionizations attempted"/"sparcs", then to high a peck cycle is needed?

> adaptive control in edm is a great idea
> BUT
> make sure the adaptive control can be turned off!
> many times in AGie and Elox and Mitsubishi cutting, we found that
> turning the autopilots off was neccesary
> ( let ME drive the damn thing!)

I wait with adaptive control until I figured out how it works but to present
some kind of average seems like a good idea.

There is:
  Number of ionizations.
  Number of sparc.
  Some theorethical numbers.
  It might also be possible to measure some times like time to ionization or
other if this provide some useful information.