On 08/28/2017 03:25 PM, Johann Beukes wrote:
Ok guys
Here's some more info on my problem.
I am very new to cnc so bare with me.
For example: Let say I want to cut a 10mm OD. The first part will be spot
on. The second will be 15 microns under and the third will be 15 microns
over and so it fluctuates with no definate repeatablility.
I have checked the x axis and my backlash is only 5 microns so the
mechanical side is ruled out.

First verify the actual placement of the tool. Make a simple program that moves the tool in and out against a dial indicator using a feed rate rather than rapid moves. If the movement repeats very consistently then my guess is the cutting process itself. It is common to see variations depending on material and condition, sharpness of the tool, angle of tool, feedrate, surface speed, etc. All of these can affect how the diameter and finish come out. Am I right that 15 microns translates to .00038 inches? Ifso that is not to bad if dealing with gummy 1018 material.

Ed.