On Wednesday 13 December 2017 14:48:54 Todd Zuercher wrote:

> Is there a problem with the version of RTAI on the Wheezy ISO which
> prevents it from working right on a system with an ISA card(s)?
>
> I have tried several times to install one of the newer Linuxcnc ISOs
> on an older system that has been running Linuxcnc on Ubuntu 10.04 for
> years. The Wheezy iso seems to install ok until you try to open
> Linuxcnc (or start any real time process.)

Todd, you are aware that the ISA interface is clocked at 7.16 (IIRC)
megahertz, and that forces a huge cpu slowdown to access it? A slowdown
that later realtime kernels can't tolerate? Probably can't even do.

Find an older Dell Dimension desktop with all pci slots in it and at
least a Pentium P4 + 2 gigs of dram. They are at least 33 megahertz at
the mobo bus. Those are often available for a big buck or less at your
local computer service shop, and they'll run LCNC from the LCNC install
of wheezy just fine. But do the install with a network cable handy as
that ISO will need a hundred or more updates once rebooted from the
installer.

If your current interface is the parport, you'll be ok, but a Mesa 5i25
card will offload all the stepper/encoder/pwm for spindle control
nonsense away from the computer. And it gives you a pair of parports so
you can do a lot more to/with the machine. If thats still not enough
i/o, the 7i90HD gives you 72 at a quite decent price, but you'll
probably need a spike stopper in the form of a 7i42TA for each of its 50
pin ribbon cable sockets.

ISA was declared dead by M$ with the event of winders 2000 IIRC.