On Thursday 14 December 2017 05:41:00 andy pugh wrote:

> On 14 December 2017 at 06:02, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > Ah, I figured as much, then its rather unlikely that you will find
> > an ISA driver in any modern kernel.
>
> LinuxCNC provides the driver. All that the kernel needs to do is
> provide access to the bus via inb() and outb() commands.

However Andy, I had assumed that parport was not the interface needed for
that ISA card. What then is the linuxcnc name for that driver?  The
AX5214H driver is an ISA bus card, as is the ServoToGo card, but Todd
has not clarified what card is involved. The Documentation.pdf does not
mention the inb() and outb() usage of either.

I my very early experiments, pre my discovery of emc2, I had ordered 3
pci boards from Futurelec I think it was, an aussie vendor, had 3
82C55's per board, supposedly around $38 USD each according to the
advertisement, but the COD was for nearly $350 when they arrived, and
they needed the inb(),outb() kernel facility's. But found they were
unusable due to non-realtime latencies in the kernel I was using, making
small steppers do the sailors hornpipe dance off the table at less than
20 rpms, full step. Sounded like a hacksaw with 4 missing teeth, 6 good
ones, wash, rinse, & repeat at random intervals.

Then I discovered emc2. And had a working install capable of moving a x1
with an HF number on it at around 2 ipm's,(small motors, lower voltage
psu, oem screws at about emc2.0.0. The rest is history. :) That machine,
and LCNC, have come a long way since. And its been a good ride so far.
You know better than I what Todd needs, so I'll get me coat.