On Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 3:23 AM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Friday 15 June 2018 23:53:03 Chris Albertson wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 7:58 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> wrote:
> > > On Friday 15 June 2018 20:20:20 jeremy youngs wrote:
> > >
> > > Aerotech mentions
> > > using 741's (op-amps) but the gain of a 741 above 10 hz falls like a
> > > rock, and that leaves the nyquist phase v stability angles in doubt.
> >
> > If the paper suggests using a 741, then the paper is very old.
>
> That amazed me too, Chris. I was reading about 1960 technology.
>
> That pdf is from aerotech's own site, anybody can download it and read
> it. Were I to design a similar device today, I'd certainly use lf357's

If I do this will I have to balance the op amp or is it a simple
replacement?

 And check any electrolytic caps for old age, replacing as
> necessary.
>
> Offtopic sorta:
>

> <
> https://www.banggood.com/Transistor-Tester-ESR-Capacitance-Meter-Resistance-Inductance-Measuring-p-1044840.html?rmmds=search
> >

> I have one of these and a variable supply for reforming caps, built a few
> months ago to resurrect my wife's organ .
>
> If Jeremy got those used, they are probably takeouts from a 30 yo or
> older machine.

1993, pulled from working environment, I agree the 741 is ancient , and
will likely replace them and will test these caps. The power supplies were
worth what I gave for the drives.

> If you can, the simplest way is to connect the digital
> > encoder to the mesa card, let it keep the position count then use that
> > any way you wish, possible to create the analog output you want

I'm hoping to allow the mess card to do this and set torque mode to use the
4020 as a simple amplifier. Thanks for the reassurance this is a good idea.

> By using pdm/pwm in the pwmgens. At 50 kilohertz, then integrating that
> to get your analog voltage. But no not pass the raw signal thru an
> opto-isolator, the control linearity will be destroyed. There are no
> such critters in the 7i90/7i42TA control, but there will be in common
> BoB's used with the 5i25's and such parport simulators.
>
> > I would not build an analog, op amp based digital rate the analog
> > output converter even with modern op amps.  That is not the best
> > solution in 2018.  A digital counter is the way to do.  It is easy to
> > make and as exact as you want.   But I think the existing FPGA based
> > hardware should be able to count and you'd not need to actually build
> > anything.
>
> I hope to avoid building. I'm really busy in the auto shop so it will be a
> week or two before theory hits action.

Indeed.  Its all in the .hal code today, no "parts" involved. I think
> what I would do is hook into the power supply's, disconnecting the old
> active stuff and use them to feed power to one of the pico systems
> pwm-servo's per axis controlled.

This is a high probability, as mentioned the power supplies were worth the
cost of admission.

The control bandwidth is fast enough
> that with a low resolution encoder.

The cui encoder is selectable, o have it at 1000 ppr as that's what the
optical encoder that still works on the other ametek is at , that and 2.3:1
timing belt drive should give great resolution.  I have the work flow to
purchase x axis balkscrews in the near future as well. When I get a chance
I'm going to get some photos of the recent goodies that have showed up.

Thanks for bouncing ideas guys.