Yes, they have Mac, Linux and Windows version of the software.  Closed
source but free from Saleae.  The $8 clone is just a tiny uP that reads 8
input pins really fast and puts the data on USB.   Al the smarts is in the
software.

Saleae makes some really nice ones that use the same software but have more
pins and faster pins and can handle more different voltage levels.

One thing that modern logic analyzers can do that scope can't is trigger on
data.

Sigrok looks good but I don't use it much, just checked it out a little.
The Saleae software is so easy to use you don't need a user manual.

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 10:52 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Friday 01 June 2018 12:32:09 Chris Albertson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 5:38 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > That does look pretty good at first glance. I can't read the
> > > clocking rate though. Humm, I just found the viewer has a zoom. So I
> > > assume you were turning it by hand as the timing shows 2/1
> > > variations on a 10 millisecond per grid line, so thats pretty slow.
> > > What it looks like at 3 to 5k revs will tell the story. But you are
> > > not going to get that display at 3 to 5k in halscope. That will need
> > > a good scope,
> >
> > Scopes are good, they will let yu find glitches like housing contacts
> > but optical encoders don't have that problem
> >
> > Last night I was using by cheap $8 logic analyzer.   Those things are
> > good for the money I could measure the duty cycle of a  two 10KHz PWM
> > signals and the A/B channels for two encoders and
> > ...ebay.com/itm/New-USB-Logic-Analyzer-...
> > <https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-Logic-Analyzer-Device-Set-USB-Cable-
> >24MHz-8CH-24MHz-for-ARM-FPGA-M100/222882469206>
> >
> > Yes they make better ones but those cost more than $8   This is one
> > good for signals that change at up to a few MHz.
> >
> I'd have to assume it displays the results on your computer screen, and
> runs on linux?
>
> Rather neat if thats the case, I might have to get me one.
>
> Thanks Chris.
>
> > > --
> >
> > Chris Albertson
> > Redondo Beach, California