> No Index??? Seems like it would be handy.

It appears to have an index slot in the glass plate , but not enough wires
🤔🤔🤔

OTOH, for XYZ, not a hard and
> fast requirement as long as the home switches are good.

I have 5 of those inductive pickups we were talking about a few months
back, I think Greg or Chris brought them to our attention , so we will find
out.

But you'll need
> it on the spindle. In fact, the index is the only thing that must be
> tied to the spindle if you ever want to do rigid tapping.
> I'm gonna put one of thousands cui encoders on it, I left this renco on
> the ametek as I'm just plain lazy and figured with the home switches it
> wasn't absolutely essential to have index.

Also without this new motor in hand I have no idea how it is equipped ,
hopefully it already has a nice encoder on it 😁😁😁

> The rest of the encoder (a/b signals) can be on the motor, and you can
> calibrate the scale for the spindle with some hal stuff you can comment
> back out of the hal file once the scale has been determined. Thats how I
> did mine anyway. Works a treat.

I'm sure I will have questions for this.

> > Finally, something that didn't fight me tooth and nail.
>
> > Now I have to put an encoder on the z motor and wait for brown to drop
> > this 6hp spindle motor off and see what I need for that, I have 2
> > drives coming for that and a bid on a power supply for the drives so
> > life is well at this time.
>
> Sounds good. How much weight do have to man handle on the Z?

This motor ships at 50 lbs it's a knee mill , however it only has freedom
of movement along the x axis , I hope to turn this later with a harmonic
drive