On Monday 22 October 2018 14:01:35 Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

> > We need something that can give us a text list in just a minute or
> > so. Ideally it would give us a list of module delays, sorted by addf
> > order in one column, and a second column of all the delays that
> > signal encounters from the hal read operation, collecting the
> > machines instant status, doing all the additional time to the final
> > hal write back to the interface, in a format that would show the
> > extra delay in that signals path caused by out of order module
> > execution.
>
> Linuxcnc confguration is essentially a netlist with one signal driving
> each net. I think the method is to calculate a "call graph" for each
> output. Delay obviously have to be known for each
> block/function/component.
>
> Algorithm probably is:
>   1. Check so that each net there output is used is driven by exactly
> one net. 2. For each output calculate the call graph.
>   3. Scan the call graphs and calculate delay.
>
> I started backend in gschem although did not yet finnish it and as far
> as I understand rockhopper work in other which is great sometimes.

Rockhopper works well with two exceptions. A net with no load isn't
shown, and the labor involved in producing a readable printout, taking
up to 6 tabloid pages to print it out.  That takes much of a day to do.

What we need is something that tells us in easy to see form, when we have
modules out of order, which extends the read data, action on data, write
data, by one servo threads delay for every out of sequence module. And
yells at us by way of adding the extra delays to the offending module.

OTOH, I have used that delay on purpose as a filter to reduce the
quantization noise of a poor resolution optical encoder by averaging the
last 4 samples (edges) from the encoder.

Thats a tall order, but it sure would be helpfull.