<kenneth.ler...@se-ltd.com> wrote:
> >> At any rate, Gene brings up a real problem should be solvable with
> >> a simple tool.
> >
> > One fly in the ointment is that I don't think anything knows which
> > function reads inputs and which writes outputs for each component.
>
> MOST hal components do it all in one shot.  Generally, only
> the ones related to complicated I/O devices like Pico
> Systems and Mesa boards have a separate read and write
> functions that require TWO ADDF lines.  (The software
> encoder has two functions that are typically run in separate
> THREADS, that's another whole complication.)  At least for
> the Pico PPMC devices, you do the read function as the VERY
> first thing in the thread, and the write as the last.
>
> Jon

And that is how I've composed the hal files here, even for the one simple
software stepper running the teeny hf mill. But do I have all the
intermediary stuff in the correct order? I think I do, but no way to
certify that I have.  And that may be impinging on the speed I can move,
or on following errors.

The hf mill has no spindle encoder, so I can't thread on it, and its 200
watt motor doesn't have the power anyway. Where it really stars is doing
edm, Its done several parts for the Sheldon doing edm to cut slots for
compression fittings. Works well but really dirty using k2 for
dielectric fluid but actually works well using distilled water too,
cutting faster with the water I believe. I have a 400 watt motor that
came off TLM when I put the 1hp motor on it, and someday I'll strip that
box off the top, and make a 3 speed belt drive using the 400 watt motor,
which will make room for an encoder. Someday. Need to find my round tuit
again. :) I did order a 1x2 foot sheet of .500 thick alu, ostensibly to
make a new apron for the Sheldon, moving the Z nut an inch to the right
and relocating new gain pushbuttons for the jog dials to make them more
comfortable to push. That will make good stock for a 3 speed belt
shifting drive.

But I'm still waiting for the new master-rt with the fixed function
keys. ??? Andy said the buildbot was done 10 minutes after my previous
post on that most of a week ago, but synaptic hasn't offered it as an
update to the x86 machines yet. The pi & Sheldon, with a slightly older
version, works well.

Thanks all.