On Friday 15 March 2019 15:02:34 Ken Strauss wrote:

> [...]
Thats cute, and the price isn't THAT bad. But its alu, a dissimilar metal
if that will last about 5 years unless its A: on an insulated mount, and
B: running a live deionizer to keep the coolant truly non-conductive. I
have some experience in that dept that yells no at me. I used to monitor
the resistance of the coolants in klystron transmitters, replacing the
deionizer cartridge when it got down to 10 megohms, and when I became
the CE at WDTV and was introduced to the 2x annually replacement of the
hoses and hose barbs there, which was an all-night and sometimes part of
the next day job, I said that was it.  And told culligan to fix me up a
bypass system. Installed it and had the operators start logging the
waters resistance daily.  Took about 2 weeks to get it up to 5 megs. But
the last hose barbs were galvanized iron and they were poisoning the
water, so we collected some brass hose barbs and some new hose and
changed everything one more time about a year later. The hose barbs were
eaten away to the point where one just broke away as we were pulling the
hose. Got it down and refilled, but 30 seconds after we put it on the
air I was smelling hot rubber hose.  Shut it down and burnt my hand on
the hose, jerks at the supply house had sold me semiconductive mineing
hose! They did have the correct insulating hose but we were early
afternoon  getting it back on the air and had to do it with cistern
water loaded with organics because it came from the roof runnoff and let
the deionizer clean it up. That was in 85, and the same hose barbs were
left installed in about '00 when it was time to fix a hardened with age
and leaking hose with new hose. Other than some discoloration they were
still brand new.  About 7 feet of hose to and another 7 from the tube
socket, but the tube socket had 7150 volts on those hose barbs when it
was on the air.  After we replaced the iron barbs, it only took about
one recharge a year of the Culligan cartridge to keep it above 10
megohms full time. The holding tank held around 150 gallons of water,
copper tank, blackened with age, it had been sitting there, and still
is, since around 1957. It work so well that we used that cistern water
for makeup, probably averaging 2 gallons a day from evaporation. I
rigged some valves so the makeup went in thru the deionizer cartridge.
We kept 4 big garbage cans full of water in case we had a leak and had
to refill it, water bled off the running system so it was in decent
shape, comparable to distilled.

Yeah both of those transmitters were elderly GE's which if you took care
of them, would care for your cash cow. And I learned a wee bit about
water. Good water isn't conductive, its a very good insulator.

Sort of funny, that transmitter was rigged with a pipe nipple and 2 more
barbs on the hose coming back from the tube socket, located about 6"
above the grounded return pipe, and it had a 50 milliampere meter to
ground as a water quality monitor. I replaced the meter with a 50
microampere meter, and never saw it go above 1 microampere again. Then I
had the operators log that meter and advise me if it ever went above 1.
So they didn't have to open the tank to read it with a meter any more.

Something is contaminating this coolant water. No clue if its in the pump
or the spindle motor. Everything else is plastic, s/b relatively benign.