On Saturday 10 August 2019 00:57:29 Chris Albertson wrote:

> My opinion:   If the e-stop system is so complex that its design is
> not simple and obvious then it is to complex to be safe.
>
> E-stop has to be so simple it is completely foolproof and design such
> that if some part of it fails, like a wire comes loose then the system
> stops. In other words, it needs to fail-safe.
>
> A good example is that all the "enable" pins on all the motor
> controllers are held in the "enable" state by a power supply.  So now
> if the supply fails or the wires connecting it fail the motors all
> stop.  In other words the e-stop's job is to NOT stop the machine but
> to enable it's operations
>
> Then when you press an e-stop button the button breaks a connection.
>
> If you are using complex logic the design is to complex to be 100%
> safe. Ask youself, what would happen if part of the e-stop system
> failed or was designed wrongly?  the answer has to be "all the motors
> stop".

And one final point, since the e-stop is by definition unscheduled, the
machine should be un-homed by that stop. Steppers in particular, will
have no clue where they are when re-enabled next.  That you can/must do
with a hal net statement, but the rest of the circuit should be hard
wired. The little 7x10 lathes have a two pole switch that sells for
about $15 from LMS, must be unlatched and opened to enable both
contacts, in an emergency a fist brought down on top opens both contacts
and mechanically latches it open. I can't think of a better yet cheap
switch for that job.

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 4:29 PM andrew beck <andrewbeck0...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > Just want to say thanks for the help with the e stop circuits.  All
> > the replies were amazing
> >
> > I have all the relays working now but am stuck on classic ladder.
> >
> > I Don't actually know how to load it and do the most basic things
> >
> > Can someone show me how to start with the most basic things like
> > actually opening the program please.  Or link me to any videos of
> > the process
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:30 PM Gregg Eshelman via Emc-users <
> >
> > emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > > Emergency Stop buttons are made so that the knob locks in when
> > > pushed and has to be rotated to unlock it so it can come out.
> > > Breakout boards, VFDs, and various other machine control equipment
> > > often has E-Stop inputs which can be wired in a circuit so one or
> > > more buttons can be used to stop everything.
> > >
> > > The easiest way to setup an E-Stop circuit is to have everything
> > > with an E-Stop connection require a voltage input, then wire them
> > > all in series with one or more stop buttons. Hit any button, it
> > > opens the circuit to everything. Needs no relays, no electronic
> > > circuitry (outside of the breakout board etc), just dead simple
> > > wire and lock open switch(es). You can add an enable switch to the
> > > E-Stop circuit, with a relay that's held closed by the E-Stop
> > > power. Then it's a 2 step process to re-enable the machine. Turn
> > > the E-Stop switch button to close it then press the enable button
> > > to close its relay. That button will also need pressed when
> > > starting the machine from powered off. It won't latch on if an
> > > E-Stop button is still locked open.
> > >
> > >     On Sunday, July 21, 2019, 5:12:08 AM MDT, andrew beck <
> > > andrewbeck0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  I need to set up a latching relay somehow to make sure the E stop
> >
> > doesn't
> >
> > > turn back on until I turn it on within linuxcnc.

 - Louis D. Brandeis