Emergency Stop buttons are made so that the knob locks in when pushed and has
to be rotated to unlock it so it can come out. Breakout boards, VFDs, and
various other machine control equipment often has E-Stop inputs which can be
wired in a circuit so one or more buttons can be used to stop everything.

The easiest way to setup an E-Stop circuit is to have everything with an E-Stop
connection require a voltage input, then wire them all in series with one or
more stop buttons. Hit any button, it opens the circuit to everything. Needs no
relays, no electronic circuitry (outside of the breakout board etc), just dead
simple wire and lock open switch(es).
You can add an enable switch to the E-Stop circuit, with a relay that's held
closed by the E-Stop power. Then it's a 2 step process to re-enable the
machine. Turn the E-Stop switch button to close it then press the enable button
to close its relay. That button will also need pressed when starting the
machine from powered off. It won't latch on if an E-Stop button is still locked
open.

    On Sunday, July 21, 2019, 5:12:08 AM MDT, andrew beck