Thanks for the advice Chris.

I think what I'm actually asking is how to connect up the classic ladder
stuff to make the gui e stop and the external big red button work together.

So that way the machine goes into estop mode if the computer discovers a
fault and also if I push the E stop in.  I want something like Sam's big
machine.  But am stuck with a couple of simple things I think.  It would be
so nice if someone made a quick video for that.

I have classic ladder working now but am struggling with how to interface
with the Hal layer.  I understand a bit about Hal now but have some gaps in
my understanding which are holding me up

Regards

Andrew.