On Thursday 20 February 2020 10:24:18 Andy Pugh wrote:

> > On 20 Feb 2020, at 14:25, Jeff Johnson <john...@superiorroll.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > Any thoughts or ideas on the best way to pull this off? PC? RPi4?
> > Which
>
> Why not add a 4th axis configuration to each machine that might use
> it? Then you can properly integrate the motion control?
>
> You can actually do it with a single config. I have a jumper in one of
> the connectors that the rotary connects through. If the system doesn’t
> see the link (via an IO pin) it doesn’t enable the axis. Mine actually
> f-errors if you try to move the axis, but that would be easy to fix.

I do essentially the same thing w/o the detection jumper. If its
unplugged it still has a missimg/undefined home_sequence so its marked
as homed whereever it is. Like this in the ini file:
[JOINT_3]
TYPE                            = ANGULAR
HOME                            = 0.0
HOME_SEQUENCE           = 0
HOME_SEARCH_VEL         = 0
HOME_LATCH_VEL          = 0
HOME_FINAL_VEL          = 0

It, if used, generally gets touched_off someplace just to establish a
reference.

Just never unplug or plug it in with power applied.

To make that easier but its not done yet, I have just obtained some more
40 amp SSR's, and will add an activator link in my .hal file so that all
motor power is off and the machine unhomed when E-stop is false. I
already soft-start the spindle supply with 2 more relays, driven by
motion-enable, one to soft-start that supply thru a 100 ohm 200 watt
resistor and another one to bypass the resistor 3 seconds later so I can
service its 17 amp max load with a 20 amp breaker, else its unrush will
reliably clear a 30 amp breaker. And a 30 is not code on a 10 ga circuit
here...

 - Louis D. Brandeis