Hi Andrew,
My formal education is a major in Computer Science and minor in Electrical
Engineering.  Now it might well be the same as Computer Engineering.   And I
went into it as a mature student and wanted to learn rather than memorize.    I
think it coloured how I look at the world and computer applications.  I was
also involved in music for many years.

For some reason I could never 'get' Autocad even with formal drafting classes
in school.  Something about memorizing and drawing from a command line
perspective or something.  For the same reason it's probably been pretty
obvious how much I dislike the 1970's user command line interface.  Not that I
don't build that sort of thing into micro-processor based products with 2K RAM
and 8K Flash but I don't think it has a place in GUI based systems.

Even editing had me with Wordmaster Pro and Wordstar rather than WordPerfect
even though WordPerfect was the more popular editor.  It was the style of user
interface.  The idea that you type F6 F5 F7 F7 F8 to print a document (how a
secretary explained it to me once) showed that if you memorized sequences you
were able to use the program.

So years ago when Alibre was first made available free and then for a low cost
they seemed to press my buttons compared to Solidworks and SolidEdge.    And I
regret to say over the years, through the purchase by Geomagic and then resale
back to the Alibre designers, they have drifted away a bit from the user
interface I found easy to use.   Especially with assemblies.  I struggle with
those now when I used to find them simple.

I followed some of the Fusion 360 Tutorials a while back when I friend decided
that he'd rather go that way even though I raved about Alibre.  For me it was
WordPerfect all over again.  I don't know exactly why I don't find it easy to
use.

So my suggestion is first perhaps ignore the cost side.  Instead, try each
system, then decide which fits the best for your style of work.  Then, decide
if cost is a consideration.  Remove the high cost software and evaluate again.
You may find Fusion is your best choice.

There's certainly no guarantee that Fusion will remain free or will become so
crippled that you are forced to buy.  Or that Alibre or the simple inexpensive
version will stay that way or be sold again to some other company.

But for now I'm staying with it.  That dual pulley was easy to draw and model.
And I moved dimensions around until it matched what I wanted.  But I also know
I use a fraction of its abilities.  I don't use the parametrics nearly enough.
 Maybe one day I'll sit down and learn a few more of the features.

But overall I suggest use what feels the most intuitive for you.

John