> I learned this with Alibre. I was using the free version, and that
> disappeared, and all my models became unavailable to me.
>
>  I had the _files_ but the software stopped working. This is functionally
> equivalent to having the files in the Cloud and the cloud storage not
> working.
> So, no, I am not going back to Alibre.
>
> This has also happened to me to an extent with Inventor. I qualify for a
> home-use license for Inventor, but that license has stopped working.
> Also,  the Windows  VM I was running Inventor on has become corrupted
> In that case I have lost the software _and_ the files. At least with Fusion
> the files are likely to continue to exist.
>
> I think that if you want to be confident of keeping both the files and the
> software, OpenSCAD and FreeCAD probably win. But I have something like 30
> years AutoCAD experience by now...
>
> --
> atp

What I did with Geomagic and the MecSoft CAM software was buy the dongles.  I
then put them in an Ethernet USB hub so that regardless of which PC I was using
as long as it was shut down on the others I could run the software.    Alas
when it became Alibre again my dongles were no longer useful for that newer
version.

But the idea was that if the call home software ever vanished I had my key.
Just like "Right to Repair" I think it's time we took back what we've paid for.
 Use your bandsaw to cut a piece of wood and the saw is no longer needed but
you still have the piece of wood.  So your suggestion to archive all important
drawings as step or iges files is a good idea.  Even if you can't work with the
individual parameters anymore.

John