If the belleville washer stack will not compress far enough to open the
fingers to allow the retention knob to enter then some of the belleville
washers have broken. The broken pieces will self arrange in layers. That
will mechanically restrict the collapse of the stack.
A new stack of washers is necessary.
Replace all the washers if you don't want to do this over and over.
Pay attention to the stack before you disassemble it and replicate the
stack.
Hth
Stuart