Is there any advantage to using a bus connected Mesa card like the 6i25 vs
using one of the Ethernet-connected cards such as 7i92M or 7i93

It seems that Ethernet would allow me to control the CNC Mill and lathe
from any computer even the ones in the office and also from a computer that
lacks a PCIe bus slot such as a Raspberry Pi or notebook PC

But I ask because possibly there is some reason to stay with the
bus-connected cards.

That said, I am getting good enough performance from the parallel port.
 "Good enough" defined as the motors and mechanical parts being the
bottleneck.   But I want to install an encoder on the spindle and also
experiment with 5 uM glass slide encoders on the machine.    So I just
might end up with 5 high-speed quadrature encoders (Spindel, x,y,z,a) and
that is simply NOT going to work over a parallel port.

BTW my "cheapest possible setup" Mini Mill is coming along.   I am in fact
noting some flex in the plastic parts and have some ideas for an improved
design.     I think it is normal that designs "mature".  The Z and X-axis
are solid but my dial indicator tells me I can do better on Y.  It seems
that a complete CNC conversion can be done for under $500 with little to no
machine work required

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California