Could the delay be caused by DHCP?  If the computer does a DHCP query and
does not find a DHCP server it will re-try perhaps many times.   The
solution would be "don't do that" and assign a fixed IP address.

Has anyone actually tried using the same Ethernet for normal uses and
connected to Mesa at the same time or did you just assume it would not
work?       I wonder if a managed switch could make it work using a VLAN or
some other trick involving level of service priority

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 3:19 PM Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

> On 07/06/2020 03:51 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
> >> From: andy pugh [mailto:bodge...@gmail.com]
> 6i25 vs
> >> PCI might be more reliable. Not so much during runs, but at startup.
> >> It is quite easy to imagine something changing the network setup of
> >> your machine, and finding that you just can't get it to run.
> > No experience with the PCI cards but what I have noticed with my 7i92H
> is that after I boot and sign on into Linux it's important that I go and do
> something else for a few minutes.   Then come back and click on the icon
> that runs the actual LinuxCNC Axis program that uses the HAL file for the
> 7i92H.
> >
> > Seems otherwise the Ethernet connection to the 7i92H can't be found for
> the first few minutes.
> >
> > There may well be some parameter that can be set so the 7i92H Ethernet
> connection happens faster.
> >

> This may be due to connmanctl trying to figure out what
> network is running on the port that is connected to the Mesa
> board.  There may be a way to tell connmanctl to not touch
> that port.
>
> Jon

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California