Hello Chris,

On 7/14/20 12:31 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 7:28 PM R C <cjv...@gmail.com> wrote:

Interesting,

but I already have the motors,  and  the gears are on their way.   What
I was really looking for is how to drive the stepper-drivers, he DM542
series ones.

Do you have the user manual for the DM542?   If not look at the top top
half of page 9 here https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/download/DM542T.pdf

Actually I do have it,  it is very similar to the one you mentioned above.

It tells you things like how long you need to hold the "DIR" pin before the
next step pulse and  the minimum pulse widths.
The one I have also needs to have the DIR set 5us before you do anything else
I'd make them all larger than needed by about 4X because you are not trying
to make these go fast.  In fact, a 50% duty cycle square wave works fine.

So you'd set the wait after the DIR 20us?   and PUL the duty cycle  10us,  5us hi then 5us lo?

I set it up so that it is 'variable' in a mem-shared array, so I can change some parameters (for example because of feedback from the encoders, or by 'manually' adjusting it.) while the threads keep running.

What you do is in the loop when you set a pin high you store the time for
when it must be set low and every time through the loop you do whatever has
a time-to-do that is expired.  You can juggle N balls at once in one loop
this way.

What I am doing is use multiple threads,  I am writing it in C, and use a separate pthread for each stepper-driver / motor.

Once the telescope starts tracking, only one motor/thread will run, the other two are mostly 'idling. '.

thanks! that was what I was somewhat looking for, some actuall number I can use that work and go from there.  The speed just depends on how much time there is between the duty cycles,  at least tat is what I noticed, correct?

Would it be better to use a higher number of steps?  The manual seems to indicate that I can almost use any setting there with a "1.8 degrees steppermotor", which somewhat surprised me.

Ron