On 07/15/2020 03:08 PM, Todd Zuercher wrote:
Would this machine look like a good candidate for a Linuxcnc retrofit?
https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/CNC/Used-Mori-Seiki-Mori-Seiki-Mv4540-CNC-VMC/01200900001/
Anyone familiar with these, are there a good reasons not to buy it? (Or good
reasons to buy it?)
Is this a good price? I don't see a year, but guessing it's from the late 1980s.

Well, it has a Fanuc control. The servo amps are pretty proprietary, although Mesa may have a way to interface with them. Pico Systems (that's me) can convert the Fanuc serial encoders to look like ordinary quadrature encoders with commutation. Assuming it has Fanuc red cap motors, they are very good. The tool changer is always the most difficult part. Also, if the tool changer is hydraulic, that can be a nightmare, as well as power-hungry and noisy.

Jon