From: Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 5:46 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC) <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Retrofit Candidate?

[EXTERNAL EMAIL] Be sure links are safe.

On 07/15/2020 03:08 PM, Todd Zuercher wrote:
> Would this machine look like a good candidate for a Linuxcnc retrofit?
> https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/CNC/Used-Mori-Seiki-Mori-Seiki-Mv4540
> -CNC-VMC/01200900001/ Anyone familiar with these, are there a good
> reasons not to buy it? (Or good reasons to buy it?) Is this a good
> price? I don't see a year, but guessing it's from the late 1980s.

Well, it has a Fanuc control.  The servo amps are pretty proprietary, although
Mesa may have a way to interface with them. Pico Systems (that's me) can
convert the Fanuc serial encoders to look like ordinary quadrature encoders
with commutation.  Assuming it has Fanuc red cap motors, they are very good.
The tool changer is always the most difficult part.  Also, if the tool changer
is hydraulic, that can be a nightmare, as well as power-hungry and noisy.

Jon