On Monday 20 July 2020 22:14:10 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 07/20/2020 07:43 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Interesting. I wonder if he accidently fixed an unwanted ground, or
> > made a bad one good doing it?  Murphy is alive and well despite our
> > reward funds.
>
> Yes, he had unwanted grounds (loops) all over the place.
> Actually, he has NO ground, only a neutral, which is
> connected to some 120 V loads.  Clearly not NEC compliant.

Oh    my   gawd....

> Also, he had the grounds for the servo amps looped all over
> the place, had the signals and  grounds to the servo amps
> following wildly different paths, all sorts of stuff.  I had
> him rewire so the signal and ground
> for the servo amp inputs were bundled together, and logic
> power and enable follow the shortest path.
> He had to rewire the thing at least a dozen times, but it
> eventually cleared up the issues.
>
> I just instinctively know how to wire signals in a
> high-noise environment, so I didn't know how touchy
> things actually were.
>
> One of the shortcuts I took in my servo amps was to not
> isolate the power stage from the logic, and to
> only have one ground, common for both the power stage and
> the logic.

I've had thoughts about that, but with an isolated analog supply for just
that motor, its not turned out to be a problem at the end of the day.

I use switchers for everything else in both cases The opto on the enable
line would have made the hoops I've had to jump thru a little easier by
making it controllable with normal 5 volt pulldown logic. ISTR I've got
something from sparkfun switching the 12 volts into that interface in
both of them, works so well I've forgotten what it is. :)  With the
extra toroids for spindle duty, its runs at room temps.

> I SHOULD have also opto-isolated the enable pin
> on the servo amp.  So, if you have long wires on that common
> ground, a star connection from the distant motor power
> supply, large voltages will appear on the ground for the
> logic as well.
> That was the basic problem.  I had to have him put a
> terminal block as close to the servo amps as
> possible, so the path from one amp's ground to the other was
> as short as possible.  Then, bundling the PWM, direction and
> ground to the servo amps finished the fix.
>
> I've sold 124 of these PWM servo controllers, and NEVER run
> into a problem like this.  I've had a few people run into
> minor noise issues, but this one really had me going in circles.

Its a great controller Jon. With suitable toroids, and a suitable current
limiting resistor, mine are both set at around 17 amps, its best
described as bullet-proof, you simply cannot make it hurt itself. If I
have a PMDC motor to control, no discussion, you get the order.
> Jon

 - Louis D. Brandeis