On 07/21/2020 04:20 AM, andy pugh wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 10:18, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

We are not looking for noise, we are looking for spurious encoder count resets.
But, thinking further, even if there _is_ noise on the index line, the
encoder counter should ignore it. It ignores all the _real_ indexes
unless index-enable is set true in HAL.

Yes, the only thing I can think of is he's hitting his soft limits. Over time, starting and stopping LinuxCNC, without homing, the machine limits will drift. If you have rational limits in the .ini file, you will eventually reach the end of them and have really strange behavior. it can be fixed by homing in a safe position, but best to put in home switches and actually home the machine to a repeatable position every time.

Jon