Matt,
Are you seeing overvoltage faults on the VFD? If you are not decrease the decel
time until you see a fault and then bump it back up until you are fault free. I
don't know what the breaking resistors will do if you are not seeing a fault
now, they are used to drop the B+ from the regen during the stop. Is the tap
sequence M3, M5, M4 or M3, M4. The M3, M4 sequence is normally much better for
response an far less drift. What model number drive do you have? I have done a
lot of work over the years with Yaskawa drives the Hitachi drives should be
close. Lower Hz on the motor will normally help you more, I'm afraid that
backgear will compound your ramp time.

Scott
    On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 1:03:06 PM CDT, Matthew Herd