On 08/01/2020 01:37 PM, Matthew Herd wrote:
Thanks Gene, I hope you’re well also.  I disconnected that grounding wire, no difference observed
in the ppmc.0.encoder.03.index behavior.  The noise seems the same both when spindle is running and
stopped, with a tendency strongly toward "true" than "false."  Pulses seem to
be both long and short, but I’d guess they’re about 80-90% true.  Not at all what I’d expect, even
with noise.

This does not make any sense at all. The encoder.xx.index reports detecting a falling edge on the index (Z) input. it is reset every time it is read. Long true pulses mean it was triggered at least once every millisecond, ie. faster than the servo thread samples it.

So, the encoder.xx.index is NOT looking at the STATE of the Z input, but whether a high-to-low transition occurred since the last time it was read.

Jon