Hi Ron,

Here is how I searched for what you are trying to do if I understand you right.

CLI is the best way to manage software in my experience. I rarely use GUI utility even in Kubuntu workstation.

As a root in my Kubuntu I have the following aliases:
alias acse='apt-cache search '
alias acsh='apt-cache show '
alias agar='apt-get autoremove'
alias agd='apt-get dist-upgrade'