On Wednesday 21 October 2020 00:00:07 Scott Harwell via Emc-users wrote:

>  The KB drives are solid. They have been around for many years and
> work well. The last one I used was for an index motor on a large lathe
> and it ran for years no problems. I don't think it is fast enough for
> a servo. Scott H

And the one in my x1 micromill is not scr based, its a switched mode
power FET version, and its for sure fast enough to run a servo.
Controlled from linuxcnc by a pmdx-106 interface, its up to full speed
of 2500 revs in under 50 millisecs from dead stopped. Either direction.

The reason I know is that I blew the FET, and replaced it with one from a
duff pc power supply.  That was 6 or 8 years ago and its still working.

I am among other things, a C.E.T., so replacing the blown FET was not a
problem for me.

>     On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 7:00:00 PM CDT, Dave Cole
> <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I didn't think that we were talking about positioning.
> I thought you were talking about a spindle drive.
> I think it could be used as a low performance positioning drive.
> You would need an opto coupler setup for the command obviously if
> there is no isolation.
> I'm not sure that the newer KB drives aren't isolated.
> But I would probably pursue a real servo drive/motor if you want
> anything with performance.
> In the past few years I have implemented AC VFDs on some machines to
> do positioning.
> They use a relatively high ratio gearbox.   They are usually in vector
> mode.  Those setups can last a very long time.  But they aren't super
> precise, but then they don't need to be.
> A couple of the machines used shot pins to get precise final position.
>
> Dave
>
> On 10/20/2020 5:30 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
> >> From: Jon Elson [mailto:el...@pico-systems.com]

> >> enough to a closed loop control.  If that was even wanted.  One of
> >> the drives does support tachometer feedback. The KB drives are SCR
> >> based, so pretty low bandwidth.
> >>
> >> Jon
> >
> > So perfect for treadmills or fans or conveyers or any sort of simple
> > speed control with a knob.  But not ideal for CNC based systems.
> >
> > John

 - Louis D. Brandeis