On Thursday 22 October 2020 07:55:04 andy pugh wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 02:00, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > No, that steers the pwm which modulates the bottom half of the
> > bridge, and not externally separated, both sides on these full H
> > bridge cards.
>
> The step outputs are a differential pair, not PWM and /PWM. I am not
> sure if that is a real distinction.
> But you might need to be careful of the common-mode voltage limits of
> the differential pair driver on the 7i76.

The output swing of the stepgen outputs, both step and dir, is rail to
rail, with the rail at around 5.1 volts. I've no reason to believe the
corresponding inputs are any different. For the spindle encoder, which I
inadvertantly bought with differential outputs, has a pair of rs485
teeny boards, rigged as rx only, making rail to rail out of that diff
pair.  Works flawlessly at speeds that cannot even begin to get thru the
input opto's on the average bob. Clue?  The spindle tach dies, and the
pid drives the spindle wide open at speeds above 400 revs.  The 7i76
encoder inputs have no speed killing opto's. So it Just Works. This
motor I'll use on the BS-1, has a maximum of 5.4 Kilohertz, pushing the
opto's speed limits a bit but should work.  If needed, I can bypass the
opto's on the bob, the need yet to be determined. NBD IOW.

 - Louis D. Brandeis