well,  the X and Z axis only have one limit switch,  which pretty much  seems like it is a  home/limit-switch because of where they are

On 11/6/20 5:23 PM, Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:
ah,  yes,  I have not set any soft limits in the new configuration yet.
Also wonder how to do that.

In the case of the lathe it's pretty easy if you have the following config
wich is the one I'm using:

HARD LIMITS = Negative limit switch |---------------------------Z axis real
travel --------------------- Home switch -------|Positive limit switch
SOFT LIMITS =                                       |---------------------
Z axis limited travel------------------------------------------|

I don't know if the diagram makes any sense, but I tried to illustrate the
loss on the full travel of the machine when setting the soft limits. Soft
limits are pretty simple in this configuration, basically you set them in
the INI file in the AXIS section. I guess this could be a little tricker if
the machine has home offset different than zero but not that painful
either.

For example, I have a mill, also a sherline, without limit switches
which I "return home" every time I am done, and then home the axes when
I start.

I have a grinder that's working in the same manner. Since the machine
cannot be moved when it's turned off and also because it's a pretty slow
machine compared to a mill or a lathe I really didn't bother about
installing home and limit switches (It was a pretty basic retrofitting I
must say). But it's working pretty well.

I thought I could use the limit switches also as homing switches.

I'll try that, set them as close to the hard limit as possible.
(However, it seems that the "hard limit" doesn't seem that useful then.)

Surely you can, but you will need to define your soft limits properly
anyways because that's the end of the travel for LinuxCNC in normal
conditions. The hard limits are just a safety measure when the machine is
not homed or I guess in case of a bad configuration of the soft limits.

(tha is why I thought those switches could be used to actually home the
machine, use them as a reference, sort of a  "go to" feature...
thinking when the switches get triggered, linuxcnc would "think", ok I
am home now.

As far as I know, it's a normal practice to have them as a safety feature
only. Before the retrofitting the Mazak used them in the same manner. The
only difference was that in some modes of operation the soft limits were
bypassed (I don't know why) and once you triggered any of the limits an
emergency stop was called and the machine had to be homed again to be used.

El vie., 6 nov. 2020 a las 19:50, Phill Carter (<phillcarte...@gmail.com>)
ah,  yes,  I have not set any soft limits in the new configuration yet.
Also wonder how to do that.

For example, I have a mill, also a sherline, without limit switches
which I "return home" every time I am done, and then home the axes when I
start.
I thought I could use the limit switches also as homing switches.
There is a good diagram of of a shared home/limit switch setup here: <
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/ini-homing.html#_shared_limit_home_switch_example_layout
<
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/ini-homing.html#_shared_limit_home_switch_example_layout