The problem with the boards are that they are a little too general purpose.  So
much more is needed above and beyond isolated outputs or inputs.

For example, say you want RS485 for the spindle controller.  Or maybe CANopen
CAN bus for pick and place tools to bring in raw material and remove finished
goods.  Even just a tool changer.

The Beagle has CAN bus and Serial ports along with I2C and SPI.  These should
be configured so it's possible add an LCD display with touch screen.  If they
make one of the CAN pins a switch input then the CAN port is lost.  That's what
happened with the 4D Systems LCD cape I bought (now discontinued).  Useless if
I also want a CAN cape.

A cape meant for CNC should know that LIMIT and ESTOP switches should be NC
type for safety.  So no disabling outputs with the ESTOP signal.

 A hardware PWM module on the Beagle should be an output.  And ideally, with a
jumper, a PWM to 0-10V output or else STEP with the corresponding DIRECTION
signal.

Inputs tied to the AB and Index input of one of the quadrature encoder modules.

Ultimately what's more cost effective and saleable?  A general purpose board
that still needs another BoB or a dedicated interface that would work with
_most_ mills or lathes.

IMHO the latter.

John