On Saturday 09 January 2021 13:08:28 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 01/09/2021 11:19 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > One last thing I would like to do, is output a zero to the
> > pwmgen if the error is less that a tolerance thereby
> > shutting down the motor entirely.
>
> Isn't that what the deadband parameter into the PID does?
>
> Jon

Yes so idb drives it closer by overdriving it an "amount" so that the
friction locked point is closer to the desired point without going over.
The trick is to null the error without changing the sign of the error.
If the sign changes, then it oscillates, hard.  So you can narrow the
friction caused deadband by a small amount of overdrive, but you also
cannot change the sign of the error.

I may play with the idea later. After whatever fixes they can put into my
ticker.

 - Louis D. Brandeis