On 01/10/2021 01:36 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Saturday 09 January 2021 20:57:24 Jon Elson wrote:

On 01/09/2021 06:39 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
Yes so idb drives it closer by overdriving it an "amount" so that
the friction locked point is closer to the desired point without
going over. The trick is to null the error without changing the sign
of the error. If the sign changes, then it oscillates, hard.  So you
can narrow the friction caused deadband by a small amount of
overdrive, but you also cannot change the sign of the error.
Yes, that's the tricky part.  Any time you introduce a
discontinuity into the transfer function,
it makes things unstable at that point.

Jon
Thinking along a different line, I am running the pwmgen at 4khz, mainly
because my ears have a "carhart notch" at least 120 db deep so theres
not a chance in hell I'd ever hear it. What would happen if I dropped
the pwmgen frequency to 400 hz. that same percentage of a pulse coming
into the controller would have 10x the length of time to actually move
the motor, which may drive it closer to a null than tickling it with a
1% pulse 4k times a second. The trouble with that is that both pwmgens
run at the same frequency, and Jon's servo, driving the spindle, may
trip its current limits with the longer pulses.

Jon?  Can you opine on that? Is there a minimum frequency for those
toroids?

Well, at 50 KHz, which is what it was designed for, the motor current is always continuous, but could look like a sine wave with low inductance motors. At 4 KHz, it is likely to already be discontinuous except maybe at high duty cycles. So, it really won't make a difference to the toroids. I suspect the motors will "sing", maybe pretty loudly, with 400 Hz PWM, but maybe you don't care.

Yes, a long pulse with 400 Hz rep rate could allow current to build a lot. But, in a PROPERLY tuned PID system, there should not be sudden excursions in pulse width. Now, you have to watch out for excessive acceleration parameters in the .ini file. My PWM servo amp has TWO current limits. The first (adjustable by resistor) limit just cuts off the PWM pulse early, and resets on the next PWM pulse. The second limit (not adjustable) trips around 20 A and latches the servo amp into E-stop.

Oh, now one issue is with the PWM frequency being LOWER than the servo period, that might make for some delay in updating the PWM generator. Is this with a Pico controller or a Mesa? I know my controller will immediately update the end of the PWM pulse if the width is changed in the middle of a cycle. I can't say for Mesa.

Jon