On 3/21/21 6:42 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
Can OpenSCAD export to .STEP files?

Yes - and FreeCAD can open them - and you can convert - but the script can be slow if you set a fine Mesh resolution - and the resulting mesh-based object may not be as useful as you first thought.

Notes about FreeCAD
 I remember using it and finding it rather useless - that has changed in the
last year or so.

It is now actually usable - with limitations. It is important to keep an eye on the reportview window - if you see errors warnings - best to undo the last action.

I have had problems if I edit earlier bits in a project - (always check the
reportwiew).

The 'path' workbench works at least as 2.5D (I have yet to try the 3D pocket object) .. I run Linux - the weeklys that you can get here (the first time) as an Appimage:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppImage/releases/tag/weekly-builds

Once you have the first one - you can go to Edit/Preferences/AppImage and
update.