On Sunday 21 March 2021 17:55:33 ken.stra...@gmail.com wrote:

> You mean such as:
<https://www.moonsindustries.com/p/nema-17-smooth-hybrid-stepper-motors/17hc2005n-000004611110015028>

First, turn off word wrap or surround the link with <url> as I've done
above, make a clickable link out of it.

Rather high priced for the torques quoted.
> and
<https://www.globalsources.com/Three-phase-motor/nema-17-stepper-motor-1180131693p.htm#1180131693>
Same comment but much more reasonably priced.>

> https://www.mygwek.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=65
>0125

Older tech, heats the motor much worse using continuous high currant.

This driver is smarter, uses only enough current to get it to where
you tell it to go.

> What are you using for your driver?

Tagged with a sticker from ToAuto called an "LCDA357H" and on ebay,
separately:

<https://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-price-Nema23-3-Phase-18-50VDC-7A-LCDA357H-closed-loop-stepper-motor-driver/173853481254?hash=item287a799926:g:spcAAOSwvApaElIU>

which at $50+12 ship was the only listing w/o a motor, it normally comes
with either a 3MN or a 2MN nema 23 motor with an attached encoder for as
little as a hundred dollar + ship.  I see that listing has a make offer,
I'd see if he will take 25/copy.

It also has an RJ style RS-232 port I've not hooked up as its speed and
capabilities are not divulged in the docs I have.

I've bought 2 of the 3NM's and one of the 2NM, and that is what's drive-
ing my 11x56 Sheldon now, very quiet, no heat. 2x faster than the bigger
nema 34 I originally put on it, and at least 40 db guieter. I am tempted
to change its name to Casper, for the ghost. :o)

> If you try one please let us know how the 3-phase works!

Works way better than 2 phase stuff. I haven't tried them, I am running
them till the rapture.

It looks like a stepper to the driving card, in this case a Mesa 7i90HD
driven by a 3 wire 25 to 40 megabaud SPI to a rpi4b with 2 gigs of dram,
Except it has a fault output I've hooked up to motion enable and a batch
of 40 amp SSR's to kill all motor power, which also resets the driver if
off for enough time to bleed off the psu's. At least 5 or 6 seconds.

As its fairly new, for nema 17's I'd see if the 232 port could program it
to limit its 4 amp current to something safer for nema 17's. Otherwise it
should run a nema 17 that isn't being overworked just fine.

A full step is only 1.2 degrees as these are not 200/turn motors, but
300/turn. But thats just a number to LCNC as long as you aren't too fast
for the input opto's of the driver.  Rated for 200 kiiohertz, I've run
them with a function generator at 275 khz, but timing is very critical,
as is loading at that speed.

Take care & stay well Ken.

 - Louis D. Brandeis